Thursday, February 12, 2009

All in good time

In two months the end of tax season will be here. We will be heading out to Utah to see our families and let them meet Nolan for the first time. And my son's crying will hopefully be over. The diagnosis at the doc this morning was just what I knew to be: Nolan has colic. He started acting colicky at 2.5 weeks and it has kind of escalated since then. Last night I just couldn't handle it and was worried sick, so I phoned the advice line. After we convinced them that a trip to the ER was unecessary, I made an app't to have him seen early this morning. I knew it was colic, but I also had to rule out any other causes of his crying. Nothing is more emotionally draining than holding your child daily and comforting him, yet having him still cry and thrash in your arms. It kinda makes you feel worthless.

But my sweet son has his good days, too!! And since I am blogging, you can probably guess that today is one of them. He sleeps peacefully as I type, even though he grunts every 15 seconds. Nolan turned one month yesterday.
I sure do love this photo. I have an identical one of Matt with Reagan as well.
Nolan's first bath. I sure do look like a train wreck, but I am definitely not trying to score beauty points these days.

He makes this face below all the time! Usually when he is excited or wants to eat. He is holding his head up well and kicking those legs like crazy. He still shakes a bit. Isn't he cute?
Reagan sure loves her bro. A little too much at times...

I have tried to make more one on one time with my girl. We made chocolate cookies last week. I have learned that cravings don't exit with the pregnancy itself.

We made a midnight jaunt to the park in our new SUV, I mean, stroller. This piece of equipment is pretty sweet, I will admit.

It was cold and dark, but by all means, we weren't gonna leave tha park without playing a little. It was nice for me to even play with Regs like old times. The last half of my pregnancy and since having Nolan, I really haven't been able to play with her like I used to.

Sucking fingers and on tummy.
Oh, Reagan, Reagan. Some days I wonder what to do with her and others I just marvel and laugh at the genuis she can be. She loves to dress her babies and swing them in the swing and just last night Matt caught her nursing her babies, pillow and all. Love it.

What I don't love is this: I was catching some shut-eye on the couch yesterday morning while Nolan slept in my bed and Reagan was watching Mickey. Or so I thought. I do this on a few mornings when I am so dang tired. Anywho...I woke up to hear Reagan tell me she went poop. She had removed her diaper and tried to put a new one on. So her poop was on the carpet in her room, etc. I wanted to barf. I was so focused on cleaning and disinfecting that mess that I didn't even yell at her. That must have alarmed her because she followed me around the whole time, saying "Sorry, mom. Sorry, mom."
I also don't love the fact that she flooded our bathroom with a couple of inches of water last friday. Or that she takes our clementines off the counter, peels them, and throws all of it in the trash (peels and orange, too). This list could go on and on, but man, I sure do love and forgive her just the same. I need to insert a plug here for Matt. I sure lucked out in marrying him. He is so tired from tax season long hours, yet he takes Nolan from me every night and holds him and usually puts him to sleep for me a few times. He takes Reagan out to the grocery store, plays with her, bathes her and puts her to bed. All so I can rest and regain sanity. He then crashes into bed only to be woken up many times by our son grunting and crying occasionally and often gets up to be with him if I can't put him back to sleep. My gratitude for him expands every day. I never give him enough credit, but he is the reason I am a happy smiling individual.
All in good time, things will pass! As stressed as I feel now, I know that I will look back on these special times and get a good laugh and shed a tear for the blessings in my life.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I feel for you!!!! Mason had a HUGE adjustment period to Quincy and so did I. He was a stinker beyond stinker for a while. Quincy was a REALLY hard baby too. Hang in there. I promise it will get easier. I promise!!!! I wish I could give you a big hug! :) Luvs and hugs...

Wright Family said...

Oh I miss you!! You are a great mommy:)

stacy said...

Lacy I hope things improve! You are a trooper! I have just over 6 weeks left! Crazy! I know you probably don't have time for it, but I will again put a plug in for the happiest baby on the block. I was reassured that it can really help give you techniques to calm your babe. In our child birthing class the instructor recommended it and actually trained under Dr. Harvy Carp at UCLA. Another couple in the class said it came highly recommended to them from a friend that said it saved her big time with her baby. It just gives you more tools to help understand and handle your baby's needs especially in the first 3 months of life. If you're interested I'll even send you a copy of the book. I heard there are tons used copies at the bookstore here and I'm heading there to get my own instead of borrowing it from library. The video was nice because it gave you quick concise info to get going with it and you don't have to devote hours to reading his book. My teacher said basic principles already taught in child development and he's branded it and makes money off it but it works. I can't believe its already been a month! I'm excited for baby beck to come. Still no name...I drempt about him the other night. I could see through my skin and he had blond curly hair (ryan had that as a kid) and actually already had teeth. funny! Felt so real! Love you!

Melanie Hoopes said...

Such cute pictures! Oh man - the crying thing - I have a hard time with that helplessness. Have you tried sitting and bouncing on a workout ball while holding him - that honestly was the only way our kids would not cry. But don't worry it does pass - as I took a long enough nap today to wake myself up - nothing better than that - hold in there - can't wait to see you guys.

Melissa Savage said...

Hey Lacy, Oh I feel for you! You are an amazing woman. I had colicky babies too. Someone recommended Gripe Water to me, have you ever heard of it? http://www.coliccalm.com/ check it out here. It used to be hard to get, since it wasn't FDA approved, so you had to get it through Canada, but now I think it's more mainstream, and approved. Anyway, it's all natural and helped my kiddos so much. Good luck! Let me know if it works!!

KT and Lance said...

I feel for ya Lacy, there is nothing harder than a colic baby! Autumn was that way, and you love them so much, or sometimes only because you have to, but its the most draining thing alive! Hang in there, he is a doll!

Your Regan adventures crack me up! She is adorable!

April J. said...

I could have written this post myself as far as what reagan is into. Lauren is the same. Ugh!

Soon we will have to catch up and introduce the boys to each other.

Warren said...

Are you guys moving to Texas? Is Matt's hat supposed to be a sign?