Saturday, September 26, 2009

Dad's 60th

My dad had his 60th birthday over Labor Day weekend, so we used it as an excuse to celebrate a little more than usual and have a reunion. We headed up to Red Moose Lodge in Eden, Utah. It is only a short drive--maybe 45 minutes--from home, so we didn't feel like we were traveling too far for an overnighter. Everyone divided up the food for the trip and we set out on Sunday. The weather was looking threatening, but it cleared up and actually turned out really warm.After checking in, we went swimming right away. We had the whole thing to ourselves, it was pretty sweet. Max is such a crazy kid, he makes us laugh and is SUCH a little Loren.
Mom and Dad watched and held my kids while we swam. Nolan seems to really like the water so far. Reagan likes the water, but only from the steps. She doesn't venture out past that.
Grandpa with Alyssa and Ashlee in front of the lodge.
Kelly and Nolan watching everyone swim. I love this photo. It was such a chill time, just relaxing and playing with the family. Such a rare occasion, too, to have everyone together.
In the water, we were old school and played Marco Polo and also played some volleyball with a rope as a makeshift net. Loren and Matt tried to get all Focker on us and spike the ball as hard as they could. A more slightly embarassing moment was when had swim races. Loni, Lindsey and I raced and 8 months pregnant Lindsey beat both of us.
After the swim, we bbq'd and ate, had cake, the kids played, the adults relaxed. Kelly's dad Dennis and his wife Ann joined us for the day.
I made dad's cake, it read "Happy Birthday Dad, Grandpa, Al." I thought it turned out nice. We sang, he opened a few gifts, then we did the Roundy tradition of saying what we like about the birthday person. This took a while, but it was fun to hear what everyone said. When my turn came, I told of how my dad made his kids and family a priority over everything. He never missed my soccer or softball games growing up, he never missed a recital, he was there for literally everything. At one point in his life, he even closed down one of his dry cleaners because it kept him away from home too much. I appreciate that. Extra money will never replace the time you have with your children and I sure love that he knew that. This is one of the many things that drew me to Matt--I saw this characteristic in him.
Katey, who is an amazing photographer, took some darling pics of my kids. Thanks KT! One day I will own an SLR like yours and you can show me how it is done:)

This is what Matt did during the afternoon:
After dinner, we headed around to theback of the lodge where they have horseshoes, a volleyball court and firepits. There were crickets EVERYWHERE, yuck!! I even stepped on one, it got wedged between my feet and the sandal. I wanted to barf.Prego Lindsey. She is now a mommy.
Emma and Reagan chilling by the campfire.
We also did dutch oven cobblers, a peach one and a blueberry one. We had ice cream with it as well. It tasted like heaven, my only regret was not having more. Here is my dad, undoubtedly telling a story or something,Reagan and I.
The next morning, after a not-so-great nights sleep, thanks to everyone being awake from Nolan, we had breakfast at the lodge, then headed over to Huntsville to a park. This was one of the coolest and biggest and shadiest parks I have ever been to. There was a sand volleyball court there and lots of grass, places to sit. We spent all day here.
Autumn the gymnast.
Here are more KT pics of my kids.
Fried chicken for lunch. This pic is funny--what the heck is Landen doing--stealing my moms food? Nah, he is maybe giving her some chicken.
Lance, our own secret agent, swat team man.
After Huntsville, we were all tired, worn out and beat from the sun. We relaxed at my parents and roasted smores. Loni taught me how to roast a Starburst. Try it, its good.
Good memores--this is what life is made of. I always treasure these times with my family. Till next time--2 years I guess when my mom turns 60!!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Good post of good times... now I love your family and don't even know them! Cricket in your foot - nasty. Picture of Reagan in b&w with sun in her hair - precious.

old Loni said...

i am glad you finally put these up! i miss that trip so much :( love you!