Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A month of gratitude

I feel silly for the name of my post, as it refers to the month of November being the month of gratitude. While I think Thanksgiving is an amazing holiday and everything, gratitude is something I feel all year long. Even my patriarchal blessing was very specific about the constant thanksgiving I would feel in my soul. Matt taught me through example what it is to be thankful in all things. He served a really tough mission, sometimes tracting 10 hours a day and not talking to anyone. He was down often because of the lack of success they had. He said his focus on his blessings-what he had versus what he lacked--got him through. I love that he experienced that so early on in life and that he passes that wisdom onto me often. Despite any challenges we may face in life, there is always so much to be grateful for!

Sunday evening I was spiritually fed. The youth in our stake performed the musical From Cumorah's Hill in a fireside. They practiced for weeks and really put heart and soul into this. I was totally uplifted by the music and especially the example that these kids set. Being in junior high and high school isn't easy and they are faced with so much, but this is a strong generation and a strong stake. I hope these are the kind of kids my children are surrounded by in years to come.

This Friday we will have the opportunity to attend the sealing of my sister and her fiancee--and my future brother in law--in the Salt Lake Temple. We are really excited for this and to get some time with family. I am proud of my sister and the choices she has made. I have said before, back when my sister Lindsey got married, that it is fun to see brothers get married, but there is something so special to see my younger sisters go through the same thing. Maybe because I am a girl and I can relate to them more. We haven't even made the 12 hour trek to Utah yet, but I feel emotional just thinking about it.
Perhaps the thing I am most grateful for and my most prized possesion on earth is my family. I lucked out in this department. My kids are amazing and the gift of being their mom is the best ever. I learn so much from them and they are in turn sure lucky to have Matt as their dad. He is one selfless person. He gets that from his parents. Matt comes home everyday and plays with his kids, never bringing the stress of work or outside influence in. He is a mirror of his own father that way. I sure love my family.
I can't help but shove sports into my kids faces all day. We expect them to attend church, we expect them to clean their rooms and say prayers and clear their dinner places, and BY ALL MEANS, those kids will play sports!! LOL :)






Our next door neighbor rescues animals who are in danger or sick. A few weeks ago she got these 7 week old pups (2 of them) who were on the brink of death. She took them in and now they are thriving and seem like they will survive. My kids love seeing them and they are the perfect size--right now anyways--for my kids!

I just thought I would end this on a funny note: Reagan loves Shrek! She loves the movie and loves Fiona and watched it a lot. Mom finally had to limit the Shrek time when she caught Reagan calling her brother a "stupid ugly ogre." But regardless, she has the Shrek face down pat. She always comes up to Matt and I and says, "This is how Shrek smiles" and she demonstrates with this half smile, almost like a shrug. She let me take some pics of the smile and Matt and I could barely contain ourselves.
For your personal enjoyment, here is Reagan's very own impersonation of Shrek:


Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Sweet post Lacy! I want to hear more about your pet rescuing neighbor. Love the pic of Matt and Reagan playing football.

old Loni said...

Haha so the very last picture she looks just like you lac! love it! I can't wait to see you guys tomorrow! It means alot you guys will come out this far for this! Love you lots and see you tomorrow night :)drive safely hoe!

Laura said...

Love this post. We really are surrounded by things to be grateful for.
Love the Shrek face and love to see how much you guys are enjoying your yard. That's what the house and all the hard work was about right? :)
Love ya!