Wednesday, November 04, 2009

All Things Halloween!

The wednesday before Halloween, Matt's coworkers nominated him (the "new guy") to decorate their mini pumpkin for the contest his building tenants do every year. We had just a day and a half to do it and so I thought, hey I've got some acrylic paints, we can paint a cute face on it. Not so. Matt informed me that people go all out for this and it should be something pretty good. Well, we hummed and hawwwed over this and Matt came up with the excellent idea of doing The Wicked Witch of the West, Elphaba. Reagan and I spent most of Thursday afternoon and evening putting this creation together.

Reagan tries on Elphaba's hat!
Our finished product, Miss Elphaba herself. Man, she looked so good. I thought we would win fo' sho'!!! Not so, again. While she was definitely well-liked by everyone, she did not win. Matt says if she had a backdrop maybe we could have. I still don't think we could have.

Here are the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place pumpkins. The second place is pretty awesome, such an original and creative idea. They should have won 1st...or maybe 2nd, after Elphaba of course.

The Saturday before Halloween, we went to Boo at the Zoo! at the Oakland Zoo. Slightly overrated, but free since we are zoo members. The best part was watching elephants eat pumpkins-see photo for proof if you can get past the monster-sized poop in it.Perhaps even better was Reagan willingly and enjoyingly riding the skycoaster with Matt. She waved happily to me from the top and posed for cute pics for Matt.


Excellent view of the bay, with the city fog and everything.

On Halloween day, we carved our pumpkins, another annual gift from the "Pumpkin Fairies" (aka the McClellands!) Reagan immediately said she wanted a princess face on her pumpkin. So we looked some templates up on the computer and one was a tinkerbell. She wanted that. I said, whatever, I am doing the Cinderella. Matt said, you all are bogus, I am going for Mickey!!! Well, they turned our pretty dang good, except Tink looks like Peter Pan and I did have to toothpick a piece together. I felt bad throwing them away today, but they were starting to grow hair.
It's been a week of sick and colds for us, so Halloween night we put Nolan to bed early and Matt, still sick, hung around the house and answered the door for all ZERO of our trick-or-treaters. Nah, Nate kept him company and we went around door to door with the Laura and her kids. We also found the Dickman's along the way and it was just a jolly good time. The kids were so cute and fun this year, I think Halloween is only going to get better from now on out.
Anxiously waiting...
...trick or treat!! We visited Grammy Lou's house.
I can't believe it is now November! Wait, what??

7 comments:

old Loni said...

oh my your pumpkin should've won! what the heck was the silver one supposed to be? and cute carved pumpkins! sorry we keep playing phone tag btw but hopefully soon we'll be able to catch each other! i have been super busy with work

Nanci said...

So cute Lacy, I love your blog! Elphaba definatly should have been first place by the way. Very impressive!

Michael Family said...

I am so impressed with your pumpkin skills. But I must say, the sad little pumpkins going on the conveyor belt and coming out as pies was AWESOME! And Wayne says you did the Mickey template backwards. Matt, you can take that up with Wayne. I think it's great.

Anonymous said...

What cool pumpkin ideas!!

You live in such a beautiful city Lacy! How fun to experience it!

KT and Lance said...

Your pumpkin totally should have won! You just needed to rig her so she sang "defying gravity"! The would have been the clencher!

Cute kido's

Kristen said...

Serious mini pumpkin painting skills. You were robbed.

stacy said...

Lacy Loved your pumpkin! Very creative! That is amazing how intense they get with that contest. That sounds like a fun idea! The singing definitely would have been the clencher for sure! haha! What did Reagan dress up as? A princess?