Friday, November 12, 2010

My Liberty Mutual moment

I was driving home from a friends house today and as I waited at a 4 way stop light, I saw a car stalled in the middle of the intersection, struggling to turn left (I was several cars back, waiting to turn left, too). A man was out pushing the car with all his might as the driver steered. Two or three cars behind them each swerved around them hurriedly so that they wouldn't miss the green light.

Out of nowhere and almost instincively, I see another car, that had been waiting to go straight, turn and get right behind this stalled car and turn on their hazards. Two teenagers jumped out of the back seat and immediately started helping this man push. They helped him and followed him until he was safely in the gas station parking lot.

This just warmed my heart. I thought of those Liberty Mutual commercials, you know the ones with the sappy song playing and everyone doing good works for each other and paying it forward. I watched this scene play out before my eyes and I was reminded of the good that is still in the world. There is so much focus on the bad--crime rates, the economy, the insane politicians in office--that it is so easy to forget that most people really have a good heart and want to do the right thing. I am thankful today for witnessing that and for receiving my own "Liberty Mutual" moment. :)

2 comments:

jeanine said...

I love it! I don't think we see those moments often enough. Last Christmas when we had a blizzard here there were all kinds of people helping others push their cars out of the snow... it was awesome!

Melanie Hoopes said...

great story - these are the ones that should be on the news!