Every now and then I get in a little reading spurt, but then I fall out of it and don't read for like, years. But this summer I got some good reading in, took FULL advantage of the library we have down the road. I thought I would post some of them.
I decided I would finally read a Jane Austen novel, since every I know loves and reads them and I was just curious. So I read Pride and Prejudice...and LOVED it as well! At first it was hard to get into because the language was so flowery, there were so many characters and all the women were Miss, it seemed. But as I got deeper into it, I really liked it. I liked it even more when my good friend let me borrow the 5 hour BBC movie version. It helped smooth everything out in the book. Colin Firth is so dang GOOD as Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth is now my girl-crush! I could totally see myself re-reading that one.
I read The Hunger Games. Just the first one. This book was so addicting, but I really felt like at times I was watching a scary movie with my hands over my eyes. It left haunting images in my head of people getting their throats slit and stuff. Really gory. But the book was so intriguing at the same time. I just love Katniss and Peeta's relationship. I have yet to read the next 2 in the series because honestly....I am afraid! I know the basic premise of both Catching Fire and Mockingjay and I even know how the series ends (I am a sucker for spoilers and reading the end before I finish!), HOWEVER, I don't want to be up at night thinking of what a depressing world they live in. Yikes. Eventually I know I will cave, probably during my next reading fix.
My mother-in-law lent me a book that I am currently reading called Intuitive Eating. I am a firm believer in most of the concepts outlined in the book. I think we live in a diet-obsessed society, but why are people just getting fatter when there are more and more dieters all the time? If we weren't so obsessed with food, whether it is what we eat or choose not to eat, then maybe things would be different. I related to this book because I fell into the category of being an unconscious eater, I totally eat without any thought to it. That is a habit I need to change. When you diet, it doesn't matter what kind of diet, you are thinking of food, like ALL day! When you deprive yourself of something, it only makes you want it more. Anyways, still reading it, but totally digging it.
I just finished another ya book called Matched. It is sort of a cross between Twilight series and Hunger Games series, minus the gore. It is a love story set in a dystopian society (lots of books out there with this theme...). The first half of the book was good, but I could still put it down. The last half completely intrigued me and now I am wanting more, since the first one left me hanging on the last page. It is a new book, so most people haven't read it, I assume, so I won't put spoilers, but it was really really good. It is also a trilogy, with the second coming out this November and the third November 2012. I am sure they will put it to a movie and I am already thinking of who I want to play Cassia, Ky and Xander. Yes......there is a love triangle. Don't most books have one these days??
2 comments:
I am totally the same when it comes to the ending of a book! I always read the ending first, I am too curious of a person!
I haven't had time/ brain power to read all summer it seems. But I was given Divergent to read and started Friday - holy cow am I addicted! Haven't been so addicted to a book since hunger games - you gotta give it a whirl!
Post a Comment