Thursday, March 06, 2008

Animal Sounds

Last fall I bought Reagan a book with pictures of animals and their sounds. We read it for quite a while and occasionally we still read it. Some of her other books also contain animals as well. A few weeks ago, I received one of those babycenter emails (you know the ones) and they had an article about talking to your child. The part that stood out to me was that even though Reagan still hasn't fully learned yet how to respond (as in talking sentences), she still is understanding much of what I am saying. So that was a big boost for me.

This morning, she wandered over to her books and pulled down the Animal Sounds. She started flipping through the pages and, lo and behold, she was making the noises!!! Well, most of them. She knows dogs, owls, sheep, cats, and my favorite, flies or bees (which to her, make the same noise). All other animals make a generic noise that sounds a bit like, "BGHAAHH...BGHAAHH." Her favorite is the owl. We have encountered this animal a few times, both in Animal Sounds as well as in The Very Busy Spider. I am really proud of her!!

In other language developments, she can now identify what a park is. We pass Cowell Park many times a week and she will always say, "Slide." She knows and repeats most of her body parts, especially her facial ones. And even when I say something to her and she doesn't quite know how to put it into words, I know that she understands what I am saying! It is a fun thing.

No comments: