Monday, March 10, 2008

Modern Medicine

I apologize for the lack of photos lately. I do have some darling ones of Reagan on the camera, but I haven't taken the time to upload them to the computer yet. Soon!

We had a weekend full of coughs, sore throats and lack of sleep. Both Reagan and Matt are sick. Matt handles it well, I really don't have a need to worry about him! He just prefers down time to relax, rather than being fussed over. This was the first time, however, that Reagan has been truly sick. She has had some colds here and there, but she had a temperature all weekend and couldn't sleep and just was lethargic most of the time and cried a lot. I wrestled with the idea of taking her into the doctor all weekend. Is it possible she could have an ear infection? If not, what else could they do? Nothing really. Anyways, after another bad night, I took her in this morning.

Her doctor is excellent and he checked Reagan thoroughly. She had lost some weight, which made me even more grateful for the good eater she has always been! I held her while she screamed and he checked both her ears and announced that they both had a pretty good infection. I was dismayed. I felt such a range of emotion that I couldn't help but start to cry. I never thought that seeing Reagan in pain and hurting would hurt ME like it did! I was kicking myself for not bringing her in sooner. I was so sad for her that she was hurting. And I was SO THANKFUL for modern medicine. That my doctor could simply look in her ears and announce the problem. That I could walk into the building next door and get her some medicine that would cure it in a few days! She was behind in her shots, so they administered 4 vaccines. It was almost too much for her to endure and she became hysterical. I just bawled while the nurse and I held her down and after 2 shots, she asked if she needed to stop. I told her she didn't and she gave her the other 2. It took Reagan a good 15 minutes to stop trembling.

I am glad that our exhausting day is now coming to a close as Reagan is finally starting to nap peacefully.

6 comments:

April J. said...

I am glad Reagan is doing better. Ear infections are so frustrating the only way to diagnose is at the Doctor's and you don't want ot run down everytime it's a possibility.

Anonymous said...

Poor little Reagan.

Quincy is now on her third double ear infection and she is only 7 months! I don't get it? I am so lucky that I have Jotham who has an odiscope (sp?) and always looks in her ears to see if she has an infection. So far he has been dead on everytime. I love it because he looks, tell me they are infected, I take her to the doctor pretending I don't know, and boom they give me the prescription. With all her ear problems I don't know what I would do without Jotham? I would be going in every week!

Just count it a blessing that this is her first one. The sweet little thing. She and you :) will be on the mend in no time! Hang in there!

Brooke said...

I'm glad Reagan is feeling better. You're right, health care today is an amazing thing!

jeanine said...

Lacy... don't kick yourself about the ear infections. I have done the same thing with James--twice! It's so frustrating!!! I hope she's feeling better soon!

Lacy said...

Thanks for all the love! Regs is doing much better now.

Gunn Family said...

I am so sorry to hear about little Reagan! I am glad she is getting better! I totally agree with how tramautic it is as a parent to see your baby hurt so bad and there is nothing you can do! The joys of motherhood!!