But then the week of camp came and I was suddenly so glad that I committed to this. Those of you who have been can attest that there is an excitement that is in the air like never felt before. I was the recipient of a few tender mercies on this journey. The Saturday before camp, I was jumping on our trampoline with my kids and I did something to my back. Not sure what, but all I know is that by that night, I was in PAIN! It felt impossible that in two days I was leaving for camp, and would be hiking 9 miles uphill with a 20 lb pack on my back. I spent all day Sunday icing it and made a few frantic phone calls just to give the directors a heads up that I possible might be too injured to go. A good friend in our ward is a chiropractor and he was so kind as to let me stop by his home for a little adjustment late Sunday. He did some stretches that really helped the pain.
To make matters worse, as I was getting things ready for camp the next day, I started feeling a sore throat come on. I honestly thought, "You have GOT to be kidding me!" Was I not supposed to go to camp or something? Bad timing to let me know this now (this was of of course, me speaking to the man upstairs, but I promise I was a little kinder in my prayers :)). Matt gave me a blessing that night and I had the overwhelming feeling that yes, I was supposed to go to camp and that it all would be right.
We met at the Oak Grove building the next morning and we were off. I, however, wasn't feeling great. My throat still hurt and I was feeling a bit of a fever come on. I pounded the tylenol like mad, alternating it with ibuprofen so that my back would get some relief. The 3 hour drive up to camp, I had thoughts of how crazy this was for me to feel this way on to camp and how much I envied my normally healthy self.
We laid low Monday, getting camp set up and getting ourselves acclimated. Our hike was to begin early the next morning. I went to bed that night still unsure what my status would be the next day. Like most people the first night in camp, I slept horribly. I was smarter this year and borrowed a cot from a friend, but it was still rough.
Somewhere in the night, a miracle occurred. I woke up Tuesday morning and I.felt.fine!!! My back, although slightly stiff from the nights sleep (or lack thereof) was pain-free. My throat felt fine. I didn't feel achy. I felt good! Some serious prayers of gratitude were said that morning.
We hiked all day that day. I had 13 girls, 3 other women leaders and 4 men leaders. We were awesome. This was a difficult hike. Most of the 7 miles were uphill and because of the water levels so high, we had to cross some rivers, waterfalls, streams. It was a gorgeous hike, with greenery and wildflowers everywhere. Despite the difficulty of the terrain, no one complained! Everyone kept on, encouraging each other, lightening the mood when needed and there was a spirit felt on our hike that was awesome. They bonded and we bonded with them and we were united as a team. Such a great day! We arrived to our destination around 5pm, Beyers Lake! Everyone was tired and worn out, but as only a united team can, we got dinner ready, water pumped from the lake and all was good. Needless to say, we slept REALLY well that night and well into the morning!
Wednesday at Beyers Lake was our day "off" hiking. It was so fun, we got to play, swim in the lake (with water snakes....which I did....unbelievable!), the girls did some certification. Just a fun day of bonding and enjoying each others company. Wednesday was also my 30th birthday! I really wasn't caring whether we did anything or not, my birthdays don't feel like much to celebrate anymore. I guess getting old isn't as fun! Our group had other plans, though. We had swam out to this rock in the lake and on our way back, I was one of the last to arrive back where we had set up camp. Suddenly, everyone is singing happy birthday and there is a cake made from ding dongs and everyone got some princess goody bags. A few birthday banners and balloons had been strung up between trees. I was presented with a t-shirt that said, "This Princess is 30" (the theme of camp this year was a princess/royalty theme). Matt and the kids had made a card for me and I had to put it away quickly because the waterworks started almost immediately. It was a fabulous day and certainly one I will never forget!
We hiked home the next morning and arrived blistered, sore and tired...but we did it! Everyone made it in one piece, carrying our own stuff and it was seriously so awesome. I don't have a single pic from the hike or camp since I didn't take my camera this year. Just this one I stole from the Merrill's blog. I am supposed to get a cd full of pics, so maybe I will have to update with those when I get it. But this is our group on the hike up.
The kids had a blast at home with Grandma and Grandpa Rasmussen, who flew out to be with them the entire week. I came home to a happy family and I am so grateful to them for sacrificing! My sore throat returned the day I got home from camp and persisted for a full week. Talk about tender mercies. What a blessing not to have the keep me from my hike. And now I am signing off for a while, as one grateful and happy mama and hiker! Love to you all :)
1 comment:
Proud of the faith you had Lacy! Love you!
Post a Comment