Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Boston

In the almost 2 years since Reagan was born, we have been on many many flights, most to Utah, one to El Paso, Texas. It is a hour and a half flight. Our flight two weeks ago to Boston was a four and a half hour flight and I am not kidding when I say it was 100 times easier than our short flights with Reagan on our laps. Fun times from our flight:

*I read an entire Mary Higgins Clark book on the flight. I read the first paragraph right after boarding, paused once to go to the bathroom and eat some biscoff cookies, then read the last paragraph as the wheels touched down.

*While waiting for Chris to pick us up, Matt fished out his Angels hat from his luggage and put it on. I did not find it funny AT ALL and demanded that he remove it at once before I blew up. Honestly, I had never been to the East Coast, but I knew they were serious about their baseball, and who's to say that someone wasn't going to shoot us on a drive-by upon seeing that hat?

(Turns out I didn't need to worry. I saw many other MLB hat besides the Yankees and Red Sox and the people were still walking around with all their limbs intact).

We saw Harvard campus and it was cool how old it was. It was fun being back on a college campus, for the first time since my BYU days. I love the feeling in the air. We ate at Bartley's, where Matt claimed he had the "best burger of my whole life." They were pretty dang good. The best part was the hilarious menu. Out of the 20+ burgers, my favorites were the Jon Kerry burger (voted best burger before he voted against it) and the Obama burger (no experience necessary). You can view their menu on their website.
We had dessert at Finale, which sounded familiar to me because I had read about their desserts specifically in Frommers. Below is a chocolate molten cake with three scoops of gelato: coffee, chocolate, and vanilla bean. Yeah...it was that good.

The next morning we toured Fenway Park, which was awesome. Our tour guide was the serious bomb diggity. He was so old, with the clearly native Bostonian accent, and he hated on the Yankees quite a bit. He told us amazing stories, most of which Matt had heard, but I hadn't.


We walked the Freedom Trail. This is the memorial to the Colonel Robert Gould Shaw and his men. If you know your history or saw the movie Glory, you know should know who he is.

We did a Duck Tour through the city, which also took us into the harbor itself. As we cruised through the harbor, our friendly tour guide and driver asked if any kids on board would like to drive the boat. Only one raised his hand, so he opened it up to adults and Matt jumped out of his seat before anyone else.
In the lower corner is a red stripe that signals the Freedom Trail. It is about 3 miles and takes you through pretty much all of Boston. Charles River in the background.
The coolest part on the trail, but also the most crowded, so we didn't go inside. This is the statue of Paul Revere with the Old North church behind it. This is the church where 2 lanterns were hung on that April night that signaled the British were crossing the Charles River and thus began the midnight ride.
Bunker Hill Monument. "Do not fire till you see the whites of their eyes" was said here.
We had a great Italian dinner that night and then had some AMAZING ice cream out in Kimball Farms in Lexington.

Thanks so much to Chris and Darcy for letting us stay with them and their hospitality. I am not sure if they read the blog or not, but THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!

8 comments:

sarita said...

This post made me so hungry! I could go to Boston for the food alone! Glad you had a good time.

jeanine said...

It looks like you guys had a blast!

Caitlin said...

Those are fun pictures. You guys did a ton in 2 short days. I want to hear about New York!!!

Rashole said...

We got bored in New York, there was nothing to see or do there so I don't think that we'll post about it, sorry Caitlin.

Brooke said...

How fun! I'm jealous!

Ashlee said...

Oh, I love Boston! It looks like you guys had a blast! I'm so glad you got to get away!!

Nathan said...

I wore my Yankees hat around Boston when I went there. I didn't even get any dirty looks. I was kind of disappointed.

Laura said...

Ah! This is my town! I LOVE IT!