Sunday, January 04, 2009

Christmas Vacation

We arrived in Utah on Christmas Eve and were greeted with COLD temperatures!! We forgot how cold it got there! Living in California spoils us. It continued to be pretty cold for a few days, but then warmed up some...to like 30 degrees high or something like that :)

We wasted no time getting to the snow. The Rasmussen back deck converts into a tube slide plus jump in the winter, so we got to send Reagan down it. We don't have snow clothes for her, so she was freezing, but I think she liked it! The video of her sledding is of this specific slope.


Grandma Rasmussen and Reagan. Reagan really enjoyed her two sets of grandparents this vacation and it finally hit her that she has two sets. She kept exclaiming over and over "TWO grandmas" or "TWO grandpas." It was like a double treat for her. We made the trip back and forth to each set (only 5 minutes from each other) several times and every time we would get packed to head out, she would say "I go to other grandmas." She definitely knows her routines!

Lindsay and Jared...we love them and are excited they are giving us a reason to return back for a visit in less than four months! Can you spot the Fruit Heights star on the hill behind them???

Christmas morning we woke up to pancakes and Jeff/Selly omelettes!!!! Grandpa Rasmussen made Reagan mickey mouse pancakes and she was in heaven. She loves Mickey. The guys got a LeBron James pancake.

Because Reagan was the only kid there and she still doesn't quite get that Santa came to visit the night before (maybe next year...) we didn't commence opening presents until everyone was up, fed, and relaxed. She was a spoiled gal and got many gifts. After a while, she got tired of opening and with one gift to go, threw her hands in the air and said, "I'm all done." This may be the last year we see that as well.

Reagan and Grandpa

Later in the morning, we headed over to the Roundy household for Christmas dinner and to celebrate with family. I love being with my entire family. Even our very own secret agent man was in town from the East Coast and it was such a treat for all of us to see him. My dad can cook an excellent meal and we had smoked turkey plus my favorite--sweet potato casserole (the kind that is more of a dessert than a veggie). Kelly's mint brownies are to die for! Two years ago she made them and used peppermint oil instead of extract. We didn't have to brush our teeth for weeks after that!! But alas, she has perfected the recipe and because I crave chocolate and mint combo this pregnancy, I had one too many. Speaking of good meals, my dad also barbequed us some Santa Maria tri-tip later that week and one of the best hamburgers I have had in a while right before we headed to the airport. It's been a shocker for Matt and I this week--back to our simple baked chicken and spaghetti meals!

Here is Reagan with her gift from Grandpa and Grandma Roundy.
Reagan got lots of cuddling time with grandparents!

I couldn't resist this. We went to Walmart with my sisters while out there and of course, Reagan could not pass up the coin-operated horsie.

New Years Eve was spent with my family. Thanks a million to Mom and Dad Rasmussen for watching Reagan again this year! Per tradition, we went out to eat and had plans to go to Texas Roadhouse, but when we found out that the wait was over 3 hours, we opted for Chili's instead. Lance and Katey couldn't make it, so it was all of us minus them and Caitlin and Emma as well.
Loni and her BF Drew.

2 dollar Sparklers from Walmart make for a great midnight show.

Loren and Kelly hosted a great party. They had a gazillion games set up and every time you won, you got to put your name in the bag and at the end of the night, names were drawn and prizes awarded. Here is Alyssa and my dad thinking really hard over a game of Connect Four. And Roland in the background, undoubtedly watching someone play chess.

Game table. Or in true Office style, I like to refer to it as "Casino Night." If a fridge were the prize, I would have been Creed, cheating like crazy and putting my name in the bag more often than necessary. Brother Lorenzo, nieces Ashlee and Alyssa, Matt, and Kelly's dad was there as well. Dennis and Ann joined in on the crazy game night fun.

New Years Eve is just not complete without my mama's gyozas. These things are the bomb-diggity. They have been tradition in our family for ages. They are basically a homemade potsticker, but seriously...way better than anything you can buy in the store.


Classic pic of Lorenzo letting off sparklers.

Classic pic of Lindsey and Landen playing some sort of nerf shooting game on the Wii.

Mom, Ann, Drew and Loni. The five of us played a few rounds of Uno. GASP!!!! Yes, I played Uno. And I won the first few rounds. It has been a while since I have played that game. The fact that I faced many many years of playing that with brothers and a dad who cheated their way through every game has left me permanently scarred. But I found myself actually enjoying it.
The best part about New Years was not having to fly out at 6AM the next morning like last year. Instead we got to sleep in, and had fun doing the WiiFit balance games. Lindsay rocked hard core at the hula hoop.
We had a great trip and out plane ride home was great. Reagan watched her movie and I watched the Office Season 4 (Matt's gift to me!) and Matt read Harry Potter. He is starting book 2. He loves them. Maybe I will read them next??? Who knows. I love how this pic shows my belly barely fitting when the tray comes down. It only got tighter when the person in front of me leaned their sit back.

Less than 3 weeks till D-Day! As of monday this week, I am 2cm and 75% effaced, in case anyone is interested in that stuff. But doc makes it sound like another two weeks at least. Pray for me that it doesn't go that long, but shoot, we all know it will. Happy New Year to all!

2 comments:

Melanie Hoopes said...

great pics, it was so fun to see you guys again!! I still can't believe how good you look - and that you could fit in that chair with the tray down - impressive!

Rachel said...

so cute! that picture of you in the plane is awesome. haha!