Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Half Marathon

I ran my first half marathon on June 5th. It was the See Jane Run in Alameda. I wasn't sure how it would pan out. I spend February and March battling runners knee then the last 3 weeks prior to the race battling shin splints. But I ended up doing it and I am so glad I did. I ran the whole time and faster than I thought. I did it in 2 hours, 9 minutes, my pace was 9:53. I loved the feeling of participating in an organized race like this. You get to feed off the adrenaline and excitement of everyone around you. The first 3-4 miles were so crowded, you felt like you were dodging people left and right. Then it started to thin out. I started feeling it around mile 8, but my Gu and gatorade kept me going. Around mile 11, it got really hard. Those last 2 were the longest, but it was fun to race through the park for the last half mile and have just crowds and crowds of people cheering you on. I even turned off my music to hear everyone.

Matt and the kids were right there when I crossed the finish. Matt snapped this photo of me, reaching out to give Michayla Rossi high five!
I think the hardest part was when I stopped running and started walking. Every muscle in my leg cramped up and they were screaming. I just wanted water, food, to sit down but I couldn't. It was not a fun aftermath, but luckily I rested the rest of the day. Of course though, we had to make the rounds to all the vendors and get the free stuff. The kids had plenty of Jamba Juice!
I learned 2 things: I can do a half marathon and will definitely do another one in the future. I also learned the I will never ever be able to do a full marathon. Doubling what this race was? You guys must be crazy.

6 comments:

Melanie Hoopes said...

loved seeing all the posts! Especially getting to see what your house and yard look like. The wood floor looks awesome. Good work! Also, you could totally do a marathon, just when your kids are old enough that you have enough time and freedom to train - you are iron woman!

Kristen said...

The marathon will work when you aren't spending so much time on your house! I am completely impressed with all the work you have done. Landscaping in Cali is great because everything grows so well! I am sure your yard will look fantastic.

Michael Family said...

Way to go! that is amazing!

jeanine said...

Way to go! You are awesome!!!

Gunn Family said...

Congrats! I too LOVE half marathons, and have NO desire to EVER do a FULL. Nice job! Love the new house too! You guys have put in a ton of work and it looks great!

stacy said...

Dang Lacy that's so awesome! What an exciting thing to work for and then achieve! Congrats and here's to many more! You look great by the way!